You wouldn’t try to decorate the walls of your home without having a coat of plaster to give a smooth surface, would you? If your existing plaster walls are looking a little worn down you may consider having the surfaces re-plastered.
DIY vs Hiring A Professional
- A professional will have his own set of plastering tools which you may not have
- Plastering can take years to learn, it is even harder to do without any experience.
- You cannot learn the trade from DIY guides or plastering videos online. A skilled plasterer will learn via an apprenticeship and then years of experience.
- Plasterers work at height. Reputable plasterers have insurance to cover them for compensation claims. Typical incidents include damage to property and injury to themselves or even members of the public.
- Professionals will always do a perfect job and make the wall’s surface as smooth as possible.
Tip: Plaster is hard to mix smoothly and difficult to apply. Hire a professional.
Are you looking for a local plasterer to carry out your work? Get Free Quotes Below:
Simply fill in the form below and local tradesmen will contact you – quotes are provided with no obligation & are 100% free of charge.
Average Plastering Costs
3 Common Plastering Jobs
1. Fresh Plastering
2. Re-Plastering (Skimming) Walls
3. Plastering Ceilings
Tip: Dry lining allows you to insulate and damp proof an outside wall
Plastering Price List (estimates)
|Type of Job||Full Description||Typical Quote||Price range (£)||Estimated Duration|
|Plaster room - small||Room size approx 7’ x 7’1” (2.13m x 2.16m). Walls only. Remove existing plaster. Dry line and skim, cosmetic finish.||~£630||£600 - £670||2-3 Days|
|Plaster room - medium||Room size approx 10’10” x 9’ 10” (3.3m x 3m). Walls only. Remove existing plaster. Dry line and skim, cosmetic finish.||~£750||£570 - £920||2-3 Days|
|Plaster room - large||Room size approx 20’ x 16’6” (6.1m x 5.03m). Walls only. Remove existing plaster. Dry line and skim, cosmetic finish.||~£1300||£1000 - £1370||3-4 Days|
|Re-plaster room - small||Room size approx 7’ x 7’1” (2.13m x 2.16m). Walls only. Over skimming/cosmetic finish 5-8mm on top of existing plaster.||~£440||£370 - 500||1-1.5 Days|
|Re-plaster room - medium||Room size approx 10’10” x 9’10” (3.3m x 3m). Walls only. Over skimming/cosmetic finish 5-8mm on top of existing plaster.||~£480||£430 - £550||1–2 Days|
|Re-plaster large room||Room size approx 20’ x 16’6” (6.1m x 5.03m). Walls only. Over skimming/cosmetic finish 5-8mm on top of existing plaster.||~£650||£530 - £690||2-3 Days|
|Plaster ceiling - small||Room size approx 7’ x 7’1” (2.13m x 2.16m). Overboard and plaster||~£270||£210 - £430||6-10 Hours|
|Plaster ceiling - medium||Room size approx 10’10” x 9’10” (3.3m x 3m). Overboard and plaster.||~£340||£270 - £430||8-12 Hours|
|Plaster ceiling - large||Room size approx 20’ x 16’6” (6.1m x 5.03m). Overboard and plaster.||~£540||£410 - £730||2-3 Days|
Top Tips For Hiring a Plasterer
- Vague requirements will result in vague quotes. Take an approximate measure of the room and keep this to hand.
- Ask for a written quotation. You want a formal document showing specific amounts.
- Ask the contractor how he or she will protect the rest of the house from wet plaster.
- Ask for their availability.
Tip: Ask for evidence such as photos of previous work.
Should my plasterer be a member of a trade organisation?
Why plaster walls?
What are the disadvantages of plastering?
Is there any alternative wall finishes to plastering?
- Fix plasterboard to wood or metal battens and decorate onto its surface. This only works if you use wallpaper, otherwise, you can still see the board texture and joints.
- Fit wooden panels or tongue and groove boards to the battens and varnish or paint. But, if you cover all the walls with panelling, the room can feel small and claustrophobic. So, it is a better idea to only cover one or two walls with panelling and make it into a feature. Depending on the wood type, this can look either rustic or very grand indeed.
- If the bare walls are brick or stone with good condition mortar pointing, you can opt for a feature wall. This gives a feeling of quality and sophistication.
- An unusual method of wall finishing is to use upholstery. Only upholster one or two walls, otherwise, the room will look like a recording studio or a padded cell!
How long does plaster take to dry?
- Time of year will have a significant impact.
- Maximising natural ventilation in the room.
- Whether the plastering is on solid walls or plasterboard.
Can you plaster over wallpaper?
- Generally, it is always better to remove wallpaper before plastering.
- What can I do to prepare my room for plastering?
- Remove all furniture and carpets.
- Take the opportunity to add or move electrical power points.
- Remove any crumbling or loose plaster yourself.
- Use masking tape to seal around internal doors to prevent dust from escaping.
Do You Need Scaffolding?
This depends on the access to, and height of the walls and ceiling surfaces. As a general rule, if the tradesman has to lay plaster above shoulder height to a wall, or when plastering a ceiling, if the plasterer’s arm is bent to an angle of more than 90 degrees at the elbow, he or she will need some kind of access platform. The platform in most cases will only need to be between 300mm and 600mm above floor level if ceilings are of standard height, but will need to be higher if the ceilings are above standard height.
The best types of scaffolding to use are prefabricated folding platforms that can be rented from the local hire shop. These can be used for particularly high ceilings and can be adjusted to suit the required height. Otherwise, most plasterers use upturned plastic beer bottle crates with scaffold boards resting on top, this gives just the right elevation to reach a standard ceiling.
The rental cost of a folding platform can be for a day, weekend or a week. There are many hire shops in the UK, both small independent and large national companies. Although different, all their rental costs will be approximately the same.
|First 24 hours||Next 24 hours||Weekend||Week|
If you decide to hire, ensure you know how to erect and use the platforms safely before you attempt to use them.
What are the materials & steps involved?